I followed the steps below to restore whatsapp chats:
1) on my old phone, I backed up my chats to SD card
2) Insert the SD card on the new phone
3) Moved the whole whatsapp folder to the new phone from the SD card
4) Install whatsapp on new phone and register and then it said there is a backup file founded, asked if I would like to restore it.
5) I clicked restore, so whatsapp processes.... for around 1-2 minutes, whatsapp quits itself, prompts "Unfortunately, whatsapp has stopped"
The whatsapp version on both my old and new phone is the same..
So how can I restore my chat history? Thanks!
Try this, from the Whatsapp FAQ.
To restore from a backup, follow these steps:
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that file from "msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt" to "msgstore.db.crypt"
- Install WhatsApp
- When asked to restore, tap [Restore]
I think I found the issue, When you put the backup file onto your new phone make sure you put it in the Whatsapp folder that is located ON your PHONE and not the SD card in your new phone. There are 2 Whatsapp folders, one on your phone and one on the SD card so make sure you put the backup onto your NEW PHONE because I kept putting it in the SD card folder and it didn't work which just made me look like a fool haha.
File name in "Whatsapp/Database" folder should be "msgstore.db.crypt". If it is have date etc then rename it to "msgstore.db.crypt" only. In my case it was "msgstore.db.crypt8" i rename it "msgstore.db.crypt" and it workder
Apparently there are issues with the restore when you use a different phone number. I could not completely figure out what caused the problems in my case, but I was finally able to restore my data when I used the same Cell phone number for activation (I have a dual sim phone) as I used on my old phone.
So I guess bottom line is: